While trying to wrap up a bit “Irish” in some baked goods, I made this really stinkin’ incredible recipe for Guinness Cupcakes. Then I topped them with the Whiskey Caramel Sauce I made the other day. And nothing goes quite as well with boozy desserts as a cream cheese frosting. I have a rockin’ recipe for that that got kicked up a bit with a secret ingredient to be named later on.
The first (test) batch of Guinness cupcakes I made I put in mason jars to be eaten with a spoon (think more caramel sauce!). Honestly, out of a mason jar is the best way to enjoy these, but I’m going to show you how to make them as cupcakes as well!
Seriously, guys, this is one of my top 5 cupcakes I think I’ve ever (EVER!) made. The flavors together are amazing. If you’ve got an afternoon to bake, you’re gonna need to try these out.
How to Make Guinness Cupcakes
Here is where I am going to admit the downside this Guinness cupcake wonderfulness. These take more than 10 minutes to make. The caramel itself is about 20 minutes of work, and you can’t take your eye off it for a second. But every second of time making these Guinness cupcake? Worth. It.
Guinness Caramel Cupcakes with Sweet Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups good cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Guinness stout beer
Sweet Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 8oz cream cheese softened
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Sweet cream coffee creamer International Delight makes a good one
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium to large bowl, whisk together milk oil, eggs, vanilla and Guinness.
- Add wet ingredients to dry a bit at a time, mixing together completely.
- Line your cupcake pans with liners and fill cups 2/3rd full. Bake for 22-25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- See https://frogprincepaperie.com/whiskey-caramel-sauce-recipe/ for full recipe and video instructions!
Sweet Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on high for 1 minute. Turn off mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and turn mixer on low until the sugar and butter mixture is incorporated.
- Add sweet cream creamer and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute until incorporated, then turn mixer on high and whip for another 2-3 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
Assembling your Guinness cupcakes with caramel in a jar
These cupcakes assembled in a jar were the best way to have them. Why? More caramel, man. Every bite gets a delicious dollop this way. And they’re something more satisfying about eating these off a spoon. I used a jar similar to this one…they aren’t quite a full sized mason jar.
Drop the cupcake into the mason jar.
If you add a little ribbon to the jars, once you close them up, they’re perfect for gift giving, too!
How to assemble Guinness cupcakes with caramel sauce
The in-a-wrapper version of the Guinness cupcakes are none to shabby either.
These go together just like any other cupcake, except for this part…
You’ll need to use a cupcake corer (buy it here) or something similar to hollow out the center of your cupcakes.
Spoon in some of the caramel.
Be sure to make sure the caramel is relatively flat on the cupcake. You don’t need perfection, you just don’t want it to drip over the sides after the frosting goes on.
Pipe on a bit of the cream cheese frosting–
Look at all that ooey-gooeyness inside! This is absolutely a cupcake to try!
They’ll make your St. Patrick’s Day (or any day!) all that much better.