Recently, I went to an Easter Egg hunt at Courtney’s house (of Charming Whimsy) where she once again produced a fabulous spread with lots of fun things for the kids to do and lots of special treats. The cupcakes she made for the party were so unique and creative—little carrot patches complete with dirt and dipped marshmallow carrots. So NEAT!
She made the marshmallow carrots as marshmallow pops
and made an entire carrot patch out of them. How cute are those carrots in those little flower pots!!?
After a little begging, Courtney kindly wrote up a tutorial on these quick and easy cupcakes sure to impress your friends, neighbors and mothers of the children in your kid’s class. You’ll need:
1 bag of large or small marshmallows depending on how many carrots you want on each cupcake
1 bag of orange candy melts
1 bag of green edible grass (I found mine at Target, but I saw that it is also available at Michael’s and World Market)
Orange sugar or sprinkles (optional)
1 package of Oreos or chocolate cookie crumbs
Cupcakes with chocolate frosting
To create the marshmallow carrots:
1. Insert toothpicks halfway into bottom of marshmallows.
2. Follow package directions on bag of candy melts to heat until they are melted to a smooth consistency.
3. Dip each marshmallow in the candy melt until coated.
4. If using sugar or sprinkles, immediately dip the candy coated marshmallow into the sugar.
5. Set marshmallows on parchment paper or stick into styrofoam while the candy coating sets.
6. Use a toothpick to make a hole in the top of each candy coated marshmallow.
7. Cut edible grass into small pieces and set 2-4 strands in each marshmallow.
8. Remove toothpicks before adding marshmallows to cupcakes.
To create the cupcakes:
1. Press one large marshmallow carrot or several small ones into the cupcake’s frosting.
2. Sprinkle cookie crumbs around the carrot to create dirt.
You can also use the marshmallow carrots as standalone marshmallow pops by inserting lollipop sticks into the marshmallows instead of toothpicks.
Thanks again for sharing this, Courtney! See her beautiful charm bracelets, bags and more at her shop, Charming Whimsy.